Listeriosis Advisory Issued for Popular Blue Bell Single Serve Snacks

You may need to check your freezer!

Please click on the following link for more information from the Georgia Department of Agriculture:

If we can be of further assistance, contact Angie Davis, Certified Inspection/Training Officer, Cobb & Douglas Public Health at 678-385-5093.

From the Manager’s Desk: Consumer Advisories


Does Your Operation Need to Provide a Consumer Advisory?

If So, Does Yours Meet Code?

The failure to provide a consumer advisory when one is required has been found to be a violation in quite a few facilities in the Cobb & Douglas Health district. Not only can this result in the loss of points from the overall inspection score, but, it can also contribute to a consumer’s illness– and even death. The person-in charge of a food service facility should know: (1) whether or not the facility needs to have a consumer advisory [which is not always obvious]; and, if so, (2) what the advisory must contain as well as the locations an advisory is required. Please continue reading to help ensure that you are in compliance.

The consumer should have the opportunity to make a well-informed decision regarding the foods being considered for consumption, therefore, they should be informed of inherent risks to their health prior to the food being ordered or selected. An advisory is needed in the location where raw or undercooked foods (or ingredients) of animal origin are ordered or selected by the consumer.   Some of the areas that are commonly forgotten when considering whether or not an advisory is needed include the offering of such partially or uncooked food from a take-out menu, from a grill in which food is cooked to a customer’s request, and from a buffet bar.

The consumer advisory must contain both a disclosure as to the specific food(s) referred to as well as the following reminder statement: *CONSUMING RAW OR UNDERCOOKED MEATS, POULTRY, SEAFOOD, SHELLFISH, OR EGGS MAY INCREASE YOUR RISK OF FOODBORNE ILLNESS.

One of our environmental health specialists (Jen Birdsong) has prepared the following document [CLICK HERE] to help you in your efforts to comply with the regulations regarding the consumer advisory and options available to attain compliance.

If further assistance is needed, please contact me at 678-385-5066.

Karen Gulley

Environmental Health County Manager